Where two or more are gathered in my name, I am there among them.
As we progress in the Christian life, we mature in Christ and grow in the love of God and neighbor. The Upper Room® understands small groups to be an integral part of Christian spiritual formation as we watch over each other in love. The Upper Room offers support for small group minstries in the church so that groups may be more effective arenas for spiritual growth.
Recognizing that small groups take many forms and serve many purposes, we offer different resources for small groups, including accountabilty groups (the Emmaus® reunion group model), study groups (study books and workbooks), intercessory prayer groups (Covenant Prayer groups), and devotional materials for small groups.
Tips for Leaders of Small Groups
- Always begin and end with a scripture reading and prayer. Allow members to voice their prayer concerns or joys.
- Remind members that the group is a forum for respectful, open discussion and mutual learning. Vital groups invite people to reflect on sensitive or even controversial issues. A spirit of humility and a genuine desire to learn from others enriches the experiences of the group members.
- Invite contributions from all, but respect members who choose to remain silent. Encourage members to share ideas and experiences briefly so that one member doesn't dominate the sessions.
- Keep discussions moving within the focus of the planned topic, but always be sensitive to what's being shared by members. Gently guide the discussion back on track after acknowledging members' statements.
- Ask members to evaluate the sessions regularly. Make adjustments to strengthen fellowship within the group. Use simple questions such as: What went well? What did you learn? What could be improved?
Walk to Emmaus is a spiritual renewal program intended to strengthen the local church through the development of Christian disciples and leaders.Visit Site
Chrysalis is a spiritual renewal program intended to strengthen the local church through the development of teens and young adults.Visit Site
The Companions in Christ series offers small groups a powerfully transforming experience in spiritual formation.Visit Site